So, I got the small bedroom in the house. My older sister got the bigger bedroom & the walk-in closet, while I was stuck with a tiny room with bi-fold closet doors that made horrendous screeching noises.
I wish I had a picture, but I don’t have much time to dig through boxes of old pics, so I’ll try to be very descriptive. My old room had baby blue striped wallpaper, beige carpet, crinkly roll-up blinds, 2 huge brown dressers and a twin bed. My colour scheme was beige & pink. The striped wallpaper used to mess with my eyes & the carpet held on to every piece of dust and I wasn’t exactly the neatest child. In 2006, I had grey laminate tile flooring installed & we spent days upon days ripping the wallpaper off. I chose a calming, Tiffany blue-like colour for the walls.
Over the years, I’ve completely transformed my room into my personal oasis & sanctuary. It feels much larger & much more organized due to the skills I’ve acquired in room organization. I was also able to get a bigger bed (thank god) and my room still feels huge.
- Don’t be a hoarder. I don’t hold on to clothes I know I’ll never wear (donate them!) and I don’t hold on to useless items in my room. This makes your closet look much more organized. I actually took the doors off my closet, got rid of the dressers & installed a closet organization system, so I’m forced to keep it neat looking because there are no doors to hide things.
- Conceal, conceal, conceal. I use pretty boxes (I find them for extremely cheap at stores like Home Sense, Winners & Target) to conceal non-glamourous items in a glamourous way.
In that pretty Paris trunk ($7!!!), I keep extension cords, charging cords, USB drives, camera accessories and other various tech equipment.
- Out of sight = less cluttered look. I purchased this low table at Ikea for a pretty decent price & I keep my remotes & charging cords in the drawer + various stuff in the other drawer. I put my DVD player & digital cable box underneath it so you can hardly see it.
- I got this $6 non-damaging stick on board for my wall that I put right by my door to jot down blog post ideas, reminders, grocery items, recipe ideas & whatever else.
- Make friends with Command. I absolutely love Command hooks to hang up my purses & pictures. They don’t damage the walls at all, are dirt cheap, come in a variety of colours & they get the job done!
- It’s also nice to have a green monster smoothie to sip while cleaning your room